#54 - Toddler 101: Parenting Through the Early Years
“Believe it or not, you will survive toddler hood.” People may tell you this, but some days it’s hard to believe. In this episode, Billy & Joy go through 20 practical tips for making the most of these very fast (and exhausting) years.
Here are the headlines:
- Know the difference between asking questions versus making statements
- When you DO give choices (and you should) make sure you are happy with the options
- Pick your battles (especially over food, clothes, toys)
- Follow up on threats & promises
- Customize your discipline
- Value the time at the dinner table
- Figure out when you (the parent) are getting a break
- Get outside
- No electronics in the car, at the dinner table, or restaurant
- Practice emotions
- Have your core value statements in place
- Ask more questions than you answer
- Have a thick skin
- Pay attention fast
- Build in extra time
- Practice manners
- Use your words - keep them positive
- Remember to play
- Stay calm
- Pay attention to your marriage
Talk about this:
1 Which of these practices do we feel like we're doing well? Where can we improve?
2 What would YOU add to the list?
3 - If you have a toddler, whom are you leaning into for wisdom or community? What system do you have to connect with them?
We are on Facebook! If you like the page you’ll receive more consistent updates and be able to share episodes with others. Connect with us @BetweenParentsPodcast
Have you left a review on Apple Podcasts (formerly know as iTunes)? This is SUPER helpful in helping others find our show. Along with Apple Podcasts, Overcast, and Stitcher, Between Parents is now on TuneIn (the fun way to listen if you are using Amazon’s Alexa). You can chat back with us on Twitter @between_parents or on Instagram @betweenparents
Thanks for listening and sharing this podcast with your friends!