Stop Saying That!!! 27 Slang Terms To Drop
The picture below is making the rounds online. It is rumored to come from a Chick-Fil-A restaurant where a store manager is trying to ban certain slang words. The frustration in the manager's tone is obvious and, frankly, hysterical.
If you aren't, however, a hip millennial, you may not track with what these comments even mean!
I appreciate this list, but I'm not sure it takes the ban far enough. I reached out to my usual "blogstorming" group and asked them to help me compile a list of the slang they would most like to ban.
- Cra-cra - This may be gone, but sometimes it pops up
- Throwing shade - I mean, most of us aren't rappers or MTV DJs, so let's not sound like one)
- Kidding… - If you have to explain that you were kidding, we all know you weren't
- Yaaaah - No need to ruin a perfectly good "yes."
- Yeah, yeah, yeah - said really fast (WAIT a second!!! This is my signature expression. I can't believe one of my friends is telling me to stop!)
- Rawkin - I don't think anyone says this really. Do they? Dork alert!
- Bae - What is that?! I see it everywhere. I know, the manager had this on his list, but it's just awful
- Crib - If you say this, you sound old and washed up
- What up?! - Grammar people get apolplectic when they hear this
- Totes - Just totally stop
- Obvi - You sound like a Jedi when you shorten obviously which you obvi aren't.
- I know, right? - OK - I say this too much. I will work on it
- Besties - even middle school girls have moved away from this term, so should you.
- I can't even - then don't try.
- Freaking anything. As in: No Freaking Way. Actually anything used in place of the F-word just needs to stop. We all know it's just F-Word Lite. And nobody's grandmother wants to hear any version of it.
- Gawd - Just oawd
- TBT - when it's not a photograph posted on a Thursday.
- Hashtag -- You can use the # symbol, but don't say "hashtag" when you're speaking. You sound like a SNL skit!
- "hella" - because "really" is a perfectly good (if not radically overused) word! - sorry Taylor Swift
- Amazeballs -- this is so 2012 - old enough that it's new again. I admit I still like the word but it's still obnoxious.
- YOLO - unless you're talking about a brand of paddle boards!
- To tell you the truth - I mean I hope you already do tell me the truth.
- Seriously. No. Seriously. - just stop.
- Shut UP!!! - Or perhaps, stop saying this.
- NO WAY! - Yes. Way.
- Holla! - I don't need to explain why this should go.
- OMG - The most obnoxious acronym of all. Seriously. No. Seriously.
What slang expressions would you like to slay?