Brussels Sprouts: The Salad
I was at Double Zero over the weekend and was reminded how much I love this salad. Since it's been three years since I last posted this recipe, I thought I would remind YOU all about it too. Of course, this isn't the restaurant's recipe, but I'm getting close!!
This is what you'll need:
- 1 lb brussels sprouts
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans OR candied pecans (this is what they had in the restaurant, but I didn't have any handy - you can pick 'em up at Trader Joe's)
- 1 hard boiled egg
- 1 diced shallot (optional - I like adding shallots to almost anything)
- fresh buffalo mozzarella or something similar like a burrata cheese
- 4 Tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Clean and trim the bottoms from your Brussels sprouts and shred on a mandolin. This is, admittedly, a pain. I'm sure you could do it with your Cuisinart, but the texture won't be as fine. You decide on the trade off, but I prefer the finer slice.
Separate the pieces so that the result is the consistency of a slaw.
Whisk together the olive oil, honey, and vinegar, and shallots (if using). Toss the dressing with the slaw, then add sliced egg and pecans. Season with salt & pepper. When you serve the salad, grate or slice the cheese on top of the salad.
If you've forgotten to feed your animals while you've been engrossed in the kitchen, now might be a good time to do that. My Mack had been waiting patiently with not-so-subtle hints.