5 Ingredient Orange Salad
If you're already missing the lighter fruit dishes of summer, now is the time to find new menu items to brighten up your table. My favorite "pantry" salad (which means every ingredient is from the pantry or fridge; nothing fresh) is my mom's Orange Salad. If you like mandarin oranges, you will be beside yourself when you make this recipe. One note, the list of ingredients is odd, so don't let that throw you off. People RAVE about this dish.
Here's what you need:
- 1 container Cool Whip (lite is ok)
- 1 container low fat cottage cheese
- 2 large cans of mandarin oranges (pull 4 out of the oranges to use as a decorative topping)
- 1 16 oz can of crushed pineapple (note - I had a couple of small cans of "tidbits", so I chopped them up to a finer consistency)
- 1 3oz package of orange jello
First, mix the Cool Whip with the cottage cheese.
Next, add the jello and stir until fully incorporated.
Make sure the pineapple is well drained and stir into the mix.
Finish with the oranges and stir gently.
Put into a bowl (I always use a glass one to show off the pretty color) and top with a few of the oranges.
Chill until ready to serve!