23 Items on the Work Bucket List
I love a well-organized to-do list. Sometimes I'll write something down just to have the pleasure of crossing it off the list. That's normal, right? (Don't answer if not....)
Still, when the task list gets lengthy, it's easy to lose sight of the things that make the career path fun. Yes. Work CAN be fun, but more like "taking a stroll on a pretty day" fun, not "bungy jumping in New Zealand" fun.
You get my point.
In any case, whether work's fun or satisfying or some other adjective, in order to recognize the "good times," you may need to remind yourself what success really looks like. To do this, I made a list of the best parts of work and call it my "work bucket list" because, quite honestly, I haven't come up with a better title.
Without further ado, here are the things that make me happy at the office!
- Sponsoring someone's promotion
- Launching a new idea
- Working in a different department
- Mentoring someone
- Understanding the technology I use
- Shaping the culture (even a little bit!)
- Practicing transparency
- Trusting people
- Engaging in tough conversations
- Exercising creativity
- Calling more than emailing
- Putting people ahead of work
- Working hard when no one's watching
- Adding paper to the printer/copier
- Making friends in accounting
- Expecting challenges - finding them - moving toward them
- Questioning processes
- Pulling off a nice, but clever office prank
- Finding and pushing the line between professional and fun
- Trading earnestness for adventure
- Celebrating what others do
- Under-promising and over-delivering
- Knowing the best places to eat lunch
I hope you weren't expecting profound.
What's on your list?