11 people you should follow on Instagram
“For me, the camera is a sketch book, an instrument of intuition and spontaneity.” Henri Cartier-Bresson
I've been using Instagram for 3 1/2 years and still have a crush on the app. IG is simply the best social space for me because it combines the best of every social network: gorgeous visuals, clever bylines, and an uncluttered space.
I've written before about the people I love to follow (here), but I have an entire new crop of photographers, artists, and humorists I wanted to share with you.
Ready? Here we go (in no particular order):
1) thiswildidea - this guy mostly posts pictures of his dog in crazy situations, but he usually features nature as the backdrop. Dogs AND beautiful scenery - what's not to love?!
2) mattoliver - this photographer uses his iphone almost exclusively to capture images around Manhattan. Sure, NYC is one of the most photogenic cities in the world, but mattoliver still has a special flair that makes me happy.
3) tolgagirgin99 - I have no idea how I found this account, but it's all about 3D calligraphy. Sounds boring, right? Not at all. I love the visuals and I think you will too.
4) courage4caleb - Caleb is autistic and he has a helping dog, Courage. I think the mom is the author of the account, but it's beautiful and inspiring.
5) oakoak_street_art - This feed is all about random art. The pictures are stray, sometimes edgy, and always clever. Exhibit A: the hulk
Exhibit B: Side show Bob
6) chefjacqueslamerde - this is a "fake" account, meaning you don't know who is really making the posts, but they are clever. This "chef" makes processed foods into works of art.
7) camilleseaman - This woman is a legit photographer and I found her after my trip to Iceland because she had made a bunch of posts from there. As fate would have it, camilleseaman posts from ALL over the world and her pictures are a complete delight. Seriously. You need to follow this woman.
8) coachrausch - another completely random guy I follow who is a football coach in Santa Barbara. He mostly posts sunsets and they are breathtakingly beautiful. Sure, they make me a little homesick for California, but it's still worth subscribing to his feed just to see Port Hueneme.
9) zachdriftwood - if this is the guy's real name, he wins -- SO cool!! Love his clever pictures about nothing in particular.
10) abstractsunday - this feed is by New York Times artist Christoph Niemann, so his work often comes from projects he's created for publication. The pictures are whimsical, fun, and always surprising.
11) avesmahbabes - I know the person who puts together this feed and I not only love his eye, but his captions are impressive as well. Definitely worth a follow.Now it's your turn to tell me who I'm missing!